First food gifset, something I’d like to try: Balloon Chocolate Bowls (x)
LIFE IS WONDERFUL
When it comes to smoothies, don’t forget to keep an eye on portion sizes! If you are having a smoothie as a meal, aim for 300-400 calories. If your smoothie is a snack between meals, make it small and aim for less than 300 calories.
Best High-Protein Smoothie Ingredients:
• Nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
• Nonfat or low-fat plain milk
• Nonfat or low-fat plain kefir
• Natural peanut butter
• Almond butter
• Plain soymilk
• Plain almond milk
Best Fruits for Smoothies (use fresh fruit, frozen fruit or fruit canned in water or its own juice):
• Berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries)
Best Vegetables for Smoothies (use raw):
Healthy Smoothie Additions for Flavor and Additional Nutrition:
• Chia seed
• Old-fashioned oats
• Spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger)
• Vanilla extract
• Coconut water
• Unsweetened cocoa powder
Smoothie Ingredients to Ditch
To keep your smoothie as healthy as possible, avoid adding these ingredients, which provide a lot of calories in the form of sugar and saturated fat, with little or no fiber or other nutrients.
• Sugar-sweetened fruit juice or concentrate
• Full-fat dairy products, such as milk or yogurt
• Flavored yogurt
• Whipped cream
• Ice cream
• Chocolate syrup
• Full-fat coconut milk
• Canned fruit in syrup
blueberry pie chia pudding: not gonna lie, i’ve never had blueberry pie before, but i don’t think i’ll need to after trying this. this is the BEST breakfast i’ve made in a while! followed a recipe from ohsheglows.com, added some cinnamon and nutmeg for spice, used coconut milk instead of almond milk, and topped it with plain baked oatmeal and almond butter. soooo good.
Healthy Chocolate Cake
Ingredients for a small cake (6 servings):
- 8 dried apricots
- 8 tbsp water
- 4 tbsp coconut flour
- 3 tbsp cocoa
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Cut dried apricots in small pieces. Cover with 8 tablespoons water and place 2 minutes at 900 W in the microwave. Let apricots soak, soften and cool.
- Mix all ingredients together in a food processor (including soaking water from the apricots). Eventually add stevia if you find that the batter isn’t sweet enough for your taste.
- Bake 20 minutes at 220 degrees Celsius.
Today’s smoothie. Green apple, frozen grapes, celery, baby spinach, kale, broccoli, banana, chia seeds and a small amount of honey.
Quinoa Protein Cookies with Rhubarb Sauce
A vegan, gluten-free dessert for a little “spring detox”.
Ingredients (for 10 small cookies):
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup cashews soaked in water overnight
- 3 tbsp vanilla flavored pea protein
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/4 cup almond milk
Instructions: Mix everything in a food processor. Use a cookie cutter to cut out the cookies and bake for 25 min at 230 degrees Celsius.
Ingredients for the pink rhubarb sauce:
- 6-8 rhubarb sticks
- one pink grapefruit
Instructions: Steam the rhubarb sticks, mix in the flesh of the grapefruit, puree using a handheld blender.
Nutrition facts on my blog: www.fitnesstreats.com/2013/04/quinoa-protein-cookies-with-rhubarb-sauce
3 cups cubed chilled watermelon
1 cup coconut water
squeeze of fresh lime
Ice if needed
Sprig of mint
Put all ingredients in blender. Blend until smooth.
Makes two servings.
90 calories per serving.
Ban-ashew Oat Cookies
Crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside, and the longer they’re left, the softer and moister and yummier they become, mmmm
- 85g cashew butter
- 80g whole oats
- 2 medium bananas
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (NOT essence)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (in a fan oven) / 356°F / gas mark 4 and line a baking sheet with some slightly greased baking paper
- Mash the bananas with the cashew butter and vanilla extract
- Beat in the egg white
- Combine with the oats
- Plop (lol) tablespoons of the mixture on to the baking sheet and flatten with the back of the spoon. You don’t need to space them out that much because they don’t spread while cooking.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden, leave to cool to room temperature on the baking paper and carefully peel off.
I made 8 cookies, each one is approx 130 calories.
But I may have eaten some of the mixture.. you might be able to make 9, or use a teaspoon instead of a tablespoon to make 16 bite sized ones (you need to lower the baking time).
For breakfast tomorrow, I’m sandwiching two of these babies together with cooked and mashed raspberries and banana, urgh I can’t wait.
Vegetable Fritters (vegan) served on baby spinach for dinner
(Four more fritters were made and baked instead of cooked in oil, I preferred the baked ones but didn’t take a photo! xxx)
that looks super yum
Couscous & Fruit Salad
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
2 teaspoons finely chopped shallots
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 cups cooked whole-wheat couscous
1 cup chopped nectarine
1 cup mixed fresh berries, such as blueberries and raspberries
2 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds
Whisk oil, orange juice, vinegar, shallots, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add cooked couscous, nectarines, berries and almonds; gently toss to combine.
Per serving: 259 calories
For a tasty, protein-packed breakfast smoothie, you’ll need 1 cup of low-fat yogurt, one frozen banana, 1 tbsp. protein powder, 1 tbsp. almond butter, a sprinkle of cocoa powder and several ice cubes. Put all of the ingredients in a blender and puree until the mixture is smooth. If it’s too thick, add water or several more ice cubes. Follow up the smoothie with other healthy dietary choices throughout the day and you’ll be on a positive track toward lasting weight loss.
A lot of people have wanted to know how I make my baked oatmeal, so here it is. It’s like having cake for breakfast!
Baked Banana Bread Oatmeal
You will need:
- 60g oats
- 1/2 cup eggwhites
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 mashed banana
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Mash your banana with a fork, leaving a few slices behind for decoration
- Mix the banana, oats, baking powder and almond milk in a bowl
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggwhites with the tsp of vanilla extract until fluffy
- Fold the eggwhites into the oats mixture and pour into a baking dish
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes at 200C
- Top with banana, blueberries and lots of melted peanut butter
I love breakfast!!
Insanely Simple Two-Ingredient Recipes