Kale salad :)
Honey-mustard tofu tenders :)
Potatoes, Kale, Guac and Smoked Tofu!
Serves 12 (makes 12 small shapes)
1 cup cooked or canned chickpeas
1/4 cup gluten-free honey mustard
1 Tbs. honey
2 Tbs. lemon juice
1/2 cup olive oil
1 lb. superfirm tofu, cut into
1 cup puffed rice cereal
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
2 large egg whites
2 Tbs. olive oil, for frying
To make Hummus:
1. Pulse chickpeas, honey mustard, honey, and lemon juice in food processor until coarsely chopped. With motor running, add olive oil, and purée until smooth.
To make Tofu Shapes:
1. Place tofu slices on paper-towel-lined baking sheet. Cover with paper towels, and place another baking sheet on top. Weigh down, and drain 30 minutes.
2. Pulse cereal and cumin in food processor until finely ground. Transfer to bowl. Whisk together egg whites and 1 Tbs. water in separate bowl.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut tofu into shapes with cookie cutters. Dip Tofu Shapes into egg whites, then into cereal mixture. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
4. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Fry Tofu Shapes in oil 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes, or until firm. Serve with Hummus.
* use egg replacer with soymilk if you are vegan. :)
BBQ Tofu recipe
Ingredients (use vegan versions):
* 1 pound (tub) firm or extra firm tofu
* 1 jar of vegan BBQ sauce
This recipe is fast and easy to prepare. It is good sliced and added to veggies or put on vegan bread for lunches. It is a little spicey, so some kids may not like it.
Prehead the oven to 300. Slice the tofu the long way to make slabs. Cover the bottom of a jelly roll pan with 1/4 inch of sauce. Put the tofu on top. Cover the tofu with sauce. Just make sure the tofu is covered, you don’t have to drown it. Put it in the oven and cook for about 2 hours. If you like your tofu very firm, cook longer. Check every now and then to make sure nothing is burning. I’ve never had a problem with that, but but ovens are all different.
Preparation time: 2 hours
Broccoli Slaw Salad with Five-Spice Tofu
2 Tbs. roasted sesame oil
2 Tbs. Chinese black vinegar or 1 Tbs. rice vinegar plus 1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. sriracha or any chile-garlic sauce
1 tsp. sugar
1 1-lb. pkg. broccoli slaw
1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced (1 cup)
7 oz. five-spice pressed tofu, sliced into matchsticks
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
2 green onions, chopped (1/4 cup)
4 Tbs. chopped roasted peanuts
1. To make Dressing: Whisk together all ingredients in small bowl. Season with salt, if desired.
2. To make Salad: toss together all ingredients with Dressing in large bowl.
Per 2-cup serving :
Total Fat 15g
Saturated Fat 2g